Is it possible to configure an interface to just bandwidth not in/out speed in NMIS 8.5.10G?

I have a switch that connects to my MPLS provider.  I have a 20M service and the interface is configured for 100Full.  I want to just show the interface bandwidth as a total of 20Mb not 100 or 20in/20out.

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

Thanks Keith,

The telco only provides a 20Mbit/sec service, it is not asymmetric.  For example I could be pushing 15Mbits/sec in and 3Mbit/sec out.  I could do some bandwidth policing to limit my in/out on the router.

So if I configure NMIS to 10Mbits/sec in and 10Mbits/sec out I will get false positives for events for bandwidth utilization as my example above is more than likely true for what I am seeing across that link.

If I was able to configure the bandwidth as a total for the interface it would be more applicable in my situation.  If I can't, the closest I could do is probably 20Mbits/sec in and 20Mbits/sec out.

1. Keith Sinclair

Dean, So the service provider specifically limits you to a total of 20Mbit/sec combined? So if you doing 15Mbits/sec in, then you can not exceed 5Mbits/sec out? I think your best option is to configure it as 20Mbits/sec in and 20Mbits/sec out. Regards Keith

Hi,

It sounds like the maximum speed of your MPLS service is 20Mbits/sec.  A full duplex interface like Ethernet is capable of transferring 20Mbits/sec in each direction at the same time.

Does your service provider do some bandwidth control to limit you to a combined input and output of 20Mbits/sec?    Or do they provide a 20Mbits/sec service?

To set your interface to reflect all the utilisation information correctly, you can set the speed to 20in and 20out and NMIS will show all the utilisation correctly.  

Many service providers also provide asymmetric services with 20Mbits/sec input and 10Mbits/sec output, especially with xDSL based services.

It is possible for example to have interface congestion in one direction but not in the other, so we always report performance in the input and output.  

I hope that helps.

Keith

Keith,

That is correct.  Max 20Mbits/sec combined, but not asymmetric.