I cannot seem to find it in the support documentation - my windows in NMIS show the right day and time, but the top right bar shows a day ahead (AEST) and I cannot seem to figure out where to change that,

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

mark documented the low-level/hardcore way of achieving this, but OS software updates may very well overwrite your changes and you should consider higher-level tools where possible:

if your server OS is Debian/Ubuntu, please use sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata.

If your server OS is CentOS/RedHat 6 or older there's no generic highlevel method.
      On CentOS/RedHat 7 you should use sudo timedatectl set-timezone <new_time_zone>.

Input the following command in your terminal:

date

As you see, the NMIS VM uses the AEST (Eastern Australia) timezone by default. If your NMIS server(s) are all in one timezone you can use the local timezone. However, as a general practice Opmantek recommends using UTC, especially when using multiple polling servers across 1 or more timezones.

You can see a list of possible timezones in:

ls /usr/share/zoneinfo

To change your server's timezone to UTC first remove the existing setting, then symlink the new setting to the localtime folder

rm -rf /etc/localtime

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime

Regards,

Mark H

Thank you!