How do I change my NMIS server timezone?

I cannot seem to find it in the support documentation - my windows in NMIS show the right day and time, but the top right bar shows a day ahead (AEST) and I cannot seem to figure out where to change that,

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

mark documented the low-level/hardcore way of achieving this, but OS software updates may very well overwrite your changes and you should consider higher-level tools where possible:

if your server OS is Debian/Ubuntu, please use sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata.

If your server OS is CentOS/RedHat 6 or older there's no generic highlevel method.
      On CentOS/RedHat 7 you should use sudo timedatectl set-timezone <new_time_zone>.

Input the following command in your terminal:

As you see, the NMIS VM uses the AEST (Eastern Australia) timezone by default. If your NMIS server(s) are all in one timezone you can use the local timezone. However, as a general practice Opmantek recommends using UTC, especially when using multiple polling servers across 1 or more timezones.

You can see a list of possible timezones in:

To change your server's timezone to UTC first remove the existing setting, then symlink the new setting to the localtime folder

Regards,

Mark H