Can NMIS poll a Dynamic DNS host after the node's IP address changed (DNS resolved to new IP) due to ISP. I have a remote node that using dynamic IP provided by local ISP. So far from my testing, once the node's IP changed, NMIS can only ping and the node status become degraded.

CommentAdd your comment...

1 answer

right now nmis resolves each node's primary ip address only when performing a type=update operation, and caches that until the next type=update operation, ie. usually for the next 24 hours.

the snmp accessor module relies on the cached information exclusively, which is why your dynamic node becomes degraded (snmp to the old address clearly won't work after the change); the fast ping submodule on the other hand doesn't rely on cached info as much/long and gets to ping the right thing fairly quickly.

you should be able to disable that bit of caching with a small code modification: lines 331 and 332 in lib/Sys.pm set up the sequence and order of node naming properties; i think that removing the '$self->{info}{system}{host_addr} ||' part should convince nmis to rely on the raw node host/name properties.

CommentAdd your comment...