Hello,

I am working on customizing a device model, and I have a question about setting up a value I’d like to display (and potentially setup an alert/threshold for). I’ve been asked to display a value that is a combination of OIDs. One of the values is part of an indexed set of properties, and the other is a single system value. I have been trying to expand on the example here: https://community.opmantek.com/display/NMIS/Advanced+Modelling%3A+When+a+single+SNMP+variable+isn%27t+enough

Continuing with this example, I am wondering if it’s possible to create a peer to ds3LCV, and define a cvar that references an snmp value from a section that is a peer to ds3Errors, or in a section outside of systemHealth (such as a value under ‘system’ -> ‘rrd’). To put that another way, I want to create another value under ds3Errors that defines a cvar that references a value outside of ds3Errors.

I've looked through some of the default models that are included with NMIS, but I haven't seen a clear example like this. 

I’m running NMIS 9.1.1.

Thanks,

Josh.

CommentAdd your comment...

1 answer

Hi Joshua,

If you have two SNMP MIBS which use a common index you can combine them, e.g. using ifIndex to cross reference MIBS, this is done using in the ds3Errors example.  The index_oid is 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.30.6.1.1 and the variable ds3intf is ifDescr from the IF-MIB 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.

In straight modelling, you can combine data but the collection must be included in the same section, e.g. rrd/ds3Errors/snmp, you can not include data from other sections.

To include data in a systemHealth section from other sections you will need to use a plugin, this would look up the data in the system → rrd section and transform it accordingly.

The NMIS plugins let you do just about anything, they will let you use code to do some of the interesting things we need to do with Vendors MIBS, in the plugin you can combine data collected from the modelling as needed and also do special SNMP queries using compound indexes.  You can update data into the database, or you can save data into the performance database.

You will find many updated models and plugins in NMIS 9.2.1 which you can see here:

https://github.com/Opmantek/nmis9/tree/nmis9_dev/models-default

https://github.com/Opmantek/nmis9/tree/nmis9_dev/conf-default/plugins

I should mention, it would be very unusual to combine data from one indexed source with data which has no index or an unrelated index.

Regards

Keith

1. Joshua Schickling

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the clarification and the references to the updated models. We are still working through the basics, and we will make sure to take a close look at some of the device model plugins.

In this particular case, we were looking at an indexed value (count), and asked to report/display it as a rate by dividing by the system up time.

Thanks again,

Josh.

CommentAdd your comment...