Hi Mark,

For troubleshooting, how to set the log_level to 7 (and set it back to 5 once done)? And it only identifies a particular distribution of OS i.e.,windows, linux,etc and not able to identify the OS name i.e windows 7,8,10, ubuntu 12.04,ubuntu 14.04,etc. Also when we monitor in NMIS8, we are not able to identify the CPU name in windows but we are able to identify for linux. Please help!

CommentAdd your comment...

4 answers

NMIS is not showing the CPU type because the OS is not telling the SNMP library what it is.  This is a limitation/problem with Windows SNMP library, nothing NMIS can do about it.  

1. Aniket

how can we overcome this at OS level?

2. Mark Unwin

You cannot. This is a Microsoft issue.

3. Mark Unwin

You cannot. This is a Microsoft issue.

4. Aniket

Oh! but i have seen in other softwares, we can poll windows desktop OS also.

5. Mark Unwin

Using SNMP alone you cannot retrieve the processor or OS names. The closest you can get is the below OID. .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 = STRING: "Hardware: Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 6.1 (Build 7601 Multiprocessor Free)" NMIS only uses SNMP, therefore this is all NMIS can retrieve. You cannot derive the actual OS from this string alone because (as you have seen) 7601 can be used for multiple versions of Windows. If other software are retrieving more details, they are using more than just SNMP.

Likely not identifying complete OS because you're only using SNMP or Nmap.

Either you have not provided credentials or none of the provided credentials allow access on the target device.

Make sure you have Credentials in menu -> Admin -> Credentials.

1. Aniket

where do i find this, im not using open-audit, i wanted to do on nmis.

2. Mark Unwin

I think you're somewhat confused. log_level is an Open-AudIT item, not NMIS. Hence why I responded with Open-AudIT actions. Open-AudIT will discover your devices. NMIS will monitor them. For NMIS, I'm unsure how much OS level details are retrieved. Likely it is retrieving whatever it can and Windows or Linux is as expected.

3. Aniket

ok. but can you help me with linking of nmis with open audit, so that i can only discover in open audit and same data will be fetched by nmis, this is different part. but about monitoring, i still have not got any answer for identification of cpu processor and windows OS. If you can suggest any other service than snmp will also do. Thanks.

4. Aniket

As per your document, I found some fruitful information in the following link "http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6267";, ' windows build numbers ' 528 - Win NT 3.1 ' 807 - Win NT 3.5 ' 950 - Win 95 ' 1057 - Win NT 3.51 ' 1381 - NT 4.0 ' 1998 - Win 98 ' 2195 - Win 2000 ' 2222 - Win 98 SE ' 2600 - Win XP ' 3000 - Win ME ' 3790 - Win XP 64bit, 2003, 2003 r2, Win Home Server ' 6000 - Win Vista ' 6001 - Win Vista sp1, Win 2008 sp1 ' 6002 - Win Vista sp2, Win 2008 sp2 ' 7600 - Win7, Win 2008 r2 ' 7601 - Win7 sp1, Win 2008 r2 sp1 ' 8400 - Windows Home Server 2011 ' 9200 - Win 8, Server 2012 ' 9900 - Win Phone 8 But how could we able to identify the exact distribution, for example it is showing 7601, then it can be Win7 sp1 or Win 2008 r2 sp1, how to be specific in this.

5. Aniket

by default for 7601 it is showing Win 2008 r2 sp1

6. Mark Unwin

The only way to be more specific is to use Open-AudIT to discover and audit the machines. You will need to add credentials, then run discovery. https://community.opmantek.com/display/OA/How+to+audit+a+single+Windows+computer#HowtoauditasingleWindowscomputer-AuditingusingaGUI#2

7. Aniket

Mark, but i found nmis to be more specific than openaudit in our scenario

To set logging go to menu -> Admin -> Config click the item and change it.