Introduction

Open-AudIT Community has two main items used to report on the data within.

Queries are straight SQL items injected with the filtering, limits and permissions of the user. Think "Show me for each device it's manufacturer, model and serial".

Summaries are similar to queries, but "roll up" the result into a group by. This is then shown on the webpage with a link to the individual items in that particular row. Think "Show me all the installed software, grouped by name and version.". When you click one of those entries, you would then see the devices on which that particular piece of software is installed on.

Open-AudIT Professional and Enterprise extend Community's reporting by adding "reports". These are usually (not always) date range based reports. Think "All the new devices discovered in the last X days".

Use

All three types of result are combined and shown in the Report menu. Individual queries, summaries and reports are given a menu category in which they will be displayed.

All three can have filters applied (only devices from manufacturer X, for example).

All three can have a limit applied to the number of returned rows.

As all three are nearly identical, I'll use a Query as an example below.

To view the individual query, the usual /queries/{$id} should be used.

To actually execute a query, either /queries/{$id}/execute can be used or instead, a link into the device list thus devices?sub_resource=query&sub_resource_id={$id}

Additional URL paramters can be provided.

For limit use &limit=10.

For a filter, use the full name of the column like &system.manufacturer=VMware.

For a JSON response, simply use &format=json.

More information about using the API (even for standard web GUI requests) can be found on the The Open-AudIT API page.