Hi,

I have setup NMIS on Centos 6. What is the default permission? What is the correct permission? Should i create a user called nmis? or should i use root and give full permission? 

Thank you in advance.

CommentAdd your comment...

7 answers

Hi Algie,

I think you are logged in as the root user already, so you don't need to use sudo.  You can set the password of the user by running the command as the root user "passwd nmis".

When you run the command ./bin/nmis.pl type=audit it is auditing the installation and telling you the problems, you can have this fixed automatically by running the command "./bin/nmis.pl type=config" as the root user.

Keith

Oh, ok. Thank you very much Keith.

I have warnings after the fix but i think that is okay.

Thanks Alexander.

When i run cat /etc/passwd i see a user: nmis but i don't know what's the password is because i think nmis was automatically created during the installation of NMIS 8.

And also when i check the ls -l /usr/local/nmis8 it shows that the owner is nmis

So I wanted to verify the setup with ./bin/nmis.pl type=audit while running on user nmis. Because if i use user root the result of the audit will show permission error.

when you run sudo <anything> you have to enter the password of the account you are currently logged in with, (ie. "algie" or the like).

Thank you Alexander.

I was trying to ran the check command on cli: sudo ./bin/nmis.pl type=audit

but the password for ssh/linux: NM1$88 does not work.

Sorry, I was not clear on my last message.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your response.

I have run the fixperms.pl and yes it fixed the permission to nmis but i can't login to the user nmis with default password: NM1$88

1. Alexander Zangerl

This is not the default password for the nmis web gui, but the default unix password for logging in to the opmantek appliance. The web password is 'nm1888'. I'm about to update https://community.opmantek.com/display/NMIS/Default+Credentials+%28Passwords%29+for+NMIS8+VM to spell this out more clearly.

hmm. the user creation and permissions should have been taken care of on your behalf by the installer (unless you unpacked NMIS into /usr/local/nmis8 by hand in which case it may have failed to do its job...).

there is also a small helper script that takes care of ownerships and permissions: run /usr/local/nmis8/admin/fixperms.pl as root.

if this does not resolve your problem, then please run the The NMIS Support Tool and send us the resulting ZIP file to support@opmantek.com for further diagnostics.