Is it possible to set a trigger so that an email notification is sent when the downstream bandwidth on a particular interface drops below a certain threshold?

CommentAdd your comment...

1 answer

Hello Hsoo,

Yes this is certainly possible.  You would need to use a combination of two features to achieve it.

First have threshold settings for this interface which has falling thresholds for Downstream (outUtil) which get more critical as the usage numbers lower and then have them create a new "Proactive XYZ" event.  Thresholding is discussed here:

Basic and Advanced Thresholds in NMIS8

Then you would want to add an escalation for this event say for "Proactive XYZ" event or with a match on that Event, Event Node and that Event Element (interface) which would send emails to the required email address.  You can find out about customising Escalation policies here:

NMIS8 Escalations

Let us know how you go.

1. hsoo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the thresholds but I'm not quite sure how they work (not really explained in Basic and Advanced Thresholds). I'm pretty sure that event is what you select when you create an Escalation Policy. What is item used for? It says that if the control evaluates to true, the oid's are executed. What does this mean? How are the values used (e.g. Fatal, Critical, etc)? My apologies for the many questions, have only been using NMIS for about 2 weeks so really appreciate any assistance.

I would like an email notification to be sent when the downstream bandwidth on a particular interface drops below  5Mbps.

Thanks,

hsoo

CommentAdd your comment...