I am new here from yesterday. I have been able to Add up my nodes in NMIS and have also configured the snmp agent on the client machines. Back at the NMIS gui however, when I want a drill down into an Ubuntu server node, its giving me garbled display for things like CPU loads, swap and memory info etc. I am using chrome. Is there something I need to configure differently to get proper displays. My windows Nodes however are displaying without issues.

CommentAdd your comment...

5 answers

Thanks ITFix - yes if you were getting no data from the device the hosts screen would look odd !!

There is a description of how to get NET-SNMP working on a server in the Install Instructions actually (so the server can monitor itself).

NMIS 8 Installation Guide (up to Version 8.5.4G)

Last section

NMIS 8 Installation Guide (up to Version 8.5.4G)#SNMPD,Net-SNMPandTestingyourConfiguration

1. ITFix

Hello Nick, Yes its true, I had not properly followed that last part, I had thought that since I did an automatic NMIS install, the newer way, that this would also have been taken care of. But now I see that it didn't. I will go and do this. I am sure that NMIS should poll data from itself now.

Hello ITFix,

Sounds like SNMP may not be configured or properly enabled on your Ubuntu servers. Are you seeing an SNMP error in NMIS for the Ubuntu devices, or is some information coming back, just not enough?

No SNMP data would suggest the daemon isn't running, the SNMP config isn't correct, or you have a bad SNMP Community string. If you're getting some data, but not enough, then you might have a SNMP Community string with restricted rights. This would be set in the SNMP config file on the device.

A quick Google search for "configure snmp on ubuntu" led me to this entry from Ubuntu's documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SNMPAgent

Good luck!

Hello Mark, Its true my snmp agent was not properly configured on my ubuntu server. Although the daemon is running but its not correctly configured. I have tried the proper snmp agent config an another server altogether and NMIS is polling data nicely. I will try and revisit my problem server and remove snmpd completely and do reinstall and reconfig. Thanks so much.

Hello Nick, yes there are differences in the way the snmp agents are configured. I am fully a windows guy and and I do know how to fully configure the snmp agent on windows to make it report everything. I can not say the same thing for the snmpd on the ubuntu. I can not picture anything coming from the linux. Do you have any wiki that shows how to set the snmpd on ubuntu?

Hello ITFix,

If the windows servers are displaying correctly then the other devices should also be as there is no difference in the functions used to display the stats. Are you able to post a picture of what you see?