Hi guys,

I have an installation of NMIS v8.6.1g that is behaving oddly for some devices. It is not creating the interface metrics rrd database.  Running collect on one of the nodes with debug shows:

16:36:45 getFileName, filename of type=interface is /usr/local/nmis8/database/nodes/XXX/interface/vlan578.rrd
16:36:45 getDBName, returning database name=/usr/local/nmis8/database/nodes/XXX/interface/vlan578.rrd for sect=interface, index=43, item=43
16:36:45 getSummaryStats, INFO (XXX) database=/usr/local/nmis8/database/nodes/XXX/interface/vlan578.rrd does not exist, snmp is enabled, wmi is disabled

Normally, it would create the rrd file and start its population. However, the file is not created.

I already have tried updating the node, as well as, removing and recreating the node.

Also, I already executed the fixperms.pl script, based on some suggestion of an old post on the forum that mentioned a similar problem.

My install runs on redhat 7 and I have installed from the source code.  Have any of you seen this behavior and can provide any tips on how to fix it ?

regards,

Guilherme

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Hi Keith,

I figured out something about the problem and have made a very ugly workaround.

The problem is that, for some reason, the getNodeInfo (bin/nmis.pl) is unable to get the sysDescr for the node (the variable $NI->{system}{sysDescr is blank), although looking the snmp packets using tcpdump to the node, I saw that a query for it returned a correct sysdescr.0 string when I runned the action=collect.

Without a valid sysDescr, bin/nmis.pl could not figure out which model to use to collect interface data and exited without collecting. Basically, only ping health were collected

Interestingly enough, I had tried to force model and type on node configuration with no change on the behavior. On the web user interface, Description was not correctly shown, also.

So it seems the problems only occurs with the sysDescr attribute. The temporary workaround was to force it:

if ($NI->{system}{sysObjectName} =~ /^fgt/) { $NI->{system}{sysDescr} = "Fortigate" }; 

on ./bin/nmis.pl at sub getNodeInfo.  

For some reason, the problem seems to be specific to this Fortinet device. I really want to remove this ugly hack, so, why shouldn´t the sysDescr variable be filled for this specific device ?  

thanks again,

Guilherme

Guilherme,

How did you go?  It looks to me like you haven't collected any data yet.  

Please run:

/usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=update node=NAMEOFNODE debug=1

/usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=collect node=NAMEOFNODE debug=1

Check the output and if you are still having problems, send through a support ZIP.

Regards

Keith