If you open a groups i.e. IT you have a list of devices and one of the columns is "Esc." for the escalation level on our production machine this shows "-1" when a device goes down and our test system shows "1" or "2" etc the system showing "-1" never goes over this so doesn't send emails etc when the device is down.

Can someone point me to where this may have been caused, I have checked the "escalation.nmis" and the "Command-Thresholds.nmis" and checked them against the test system and all looks OK.

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

None of this worked so I decided to build a new server and install NMIS from scratch

I did have a scheduled outage so I have removed the outage and a device still shows -1 when it is down, the outage I had covered all devices for 30 minutes once a week; I have removed all outages.

Not sure if this is relevant to your issue, but in NMIS 8.6.7, if a node has been put in a 'scheduled outage' condition, the Esc. column in the group table will render a -1 as you describe. 

1. Andrew Webster

I have now also upgrade the system to the newest stable version 8.6.7G and this has not helped.

2. Christopher Gatlin

Outage handling changed in NMIS 8.6.4. Just to verify this is not a stale outage problem, look in /usr/local/nmis8/conf. if there is a outage.dat file it may be deleted as it's no longer necessary. If there is a Outages.nmis.disabled file it may be deleted. If there are not any scheduled outages the Outages.nmis file should be an empty perl hash. For example: {code} [root@poller-office conf]# cat Outages.nmis %hash = (); {code} If this is all true and the problem still persists I would remove all events associated with the node in /usr/local/nmis8/var/events. It is save to remove the entire /usr/local/nmis8/var/events directory as NMIS will automatically recreate it; but be aware all current events will ring again again at the next collect cycle. If the problem still persists I would remove the nodes node & view files in /usr/local/nmis8/var. These will be re-created at the next collect cycle.

3. Christopher Gatlin

I forgot to add that we should look for stale files called planned_outage_open-.json in /usr/local/nmis8/var/events/<node>/current. Not a bad to just delete everything in this directory.

4. Andrew Webster

Thanks for this I will start working on this now and let you know.

5. Andrew Webster

I tried the first option removing the outage.dat and Outages.nmis.disabled and then checked the outage.nmis and this was an empty file, this did not make any difference; I then removed the /nmis8/var/ view and node files still no change. I am reluctant to remove the events as we like to have the old data regarding events.

6. Andrew Webster

There was no planned_outage_open.json in the test device.