This has turned into some marketing, upsell, collect & profit off your data, scammy BS thing like IMMEDITATELY! I havent even gotten to do discovery on my network to view the results and see if this will even remotely collect the datat that I want. And I specifically chose a local install and specifically chose Community bc I wanted the self& group-supporting version. I feel resentful and manipulated and  like this is wasting my time and resources. I don't like that. I want to choose. Not be draggedi in a direction that I don't want to go. I'm likely scrubbing all of this and rinsing the bad taste out my mouth but i wanted the output of a basic scan for all my headache to get to this point. Is there anyone to dispute or re-frame my experience??? If so, recommendations for a basic, but free and preferably open-source solution. Oh yea, why would you be here if you know of that option. Oh well. later.

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

Hi Timothy,

I'm sorry you feel that way. The Open Source code of Open-AudIT Community is sponsored by the commercial applications of Open-AudIT Professional, Enterprise, Collector and Cloud. We encourage users to become customers and help us to keep the open source product expanding and improving. Maybe this wiki page will help you to understand what Open-AudIT is and how it is structured and works https://community.opmantek.com/display/OA/What+is+Open-AudIT

We include information about the commercial options for people who may be interested in that, otherwise people ignore them. It is open-source and remains open source, you can get the source code here https://github.com/Opmantek/open-audit

You are never forced to use any of the commercial programs if you don't want to. The free and open source Open-AudIT Community will discover everything on your network, just the same as the commercial programs. The wiki page outlines some of the features and benefits of using the commercial programs, but you are never forced to use them if you don't want to. Use the open source version and when the modal appears about upgrading to a commercial program, just click "Do not show me again" and that's the last time you'll be prompted. We do not and never have sold users data and the inference that we do or ever have is incorrect. Open-AudIT Community has been open source for over twenty years and we see no reason to change either how the code works or how our business model works. We think it's only fair that if you want additional features that take time and money to develop, you contribute to that development. If you don't want or don't value these features, you can use Open-AudIT Community, benefit from its features and even modify the open source code if you want.

If you're having issues getting discovery working, I can only say it should be a matter of: add credentials, add discovery, run discovery. If it's not that simple then I consider it a bug and would be happy to work through your issue(s).

Mark Unwin.

Been using Open Audit community edition for so long, old enough to remember when it was called WinVentory! Have had a much different/better experience than you describe, that is for sure.

Using http://hostname/open-audit/index.php  you wouldn't even notice the things that apparently annoy you.

Community edition is a great offering, and I encourage people who can recognize that to support Opmantek for keeping an open source version available and updated year after year. Is great having an agent less open source inventory system that includes all of the OS's in our enviro, and there are a lot (esxi, windows, red hat, ubuntu, centos, etc). And actually does a better job than some of the commercial products that I have experienced.

Thank you Mark, Keith and everybody at Opmantek for doing such a great job over such a long period of time, with Open-Audit 

Title changed from

I downloaded this bc I thought it was open source, fee network discovery & invernoty sw. I've had to install a bunch of different stuff, then go online and get trial licenses, them now it's some 'cloud' service which is exactly the opposite of what I want