We would like to capture extra information on Audit and send it to Custom Field.  For example, the version of PowerShell that is running on the host.

Is this a feature or do we need to change the source code to process the additional data from an audit file?

CommentAdd your comment...

1 answer

I have to say I am somewhat surprised that PowerShell doesn't return in the list of installed software.

Anyway...

I have now added it manually to the audit_windows.vbs script (as we do with other items like Codecs, ODBC Drivers, etc). You can find an updated version on GitHub, link below. This is a drop in replacement for your current audit script. Just copy it to -

Linux: /usr/local/open-audit/other/audit_windows.vbs

Windows: c:\xampp\open-audit\other\audit_windows.vbs

Please make sure you backup your original file before replacing with this new one so you can revert if anything unexpected occurs.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Opmantek/open-audit/master/other/audit_windows.vbs

Once an audit is performed using this new script, PowerShell should appear in the list of installed software in Open-AudIT (including it's version number).

Mark.

PS - At present there is no way to associate a custom field in the audit script to be processed by the application. This is something we are giving thought to.

PPS - One way you might  have solved it is to add the complete executable path to /files in Open-AudIT (Enterprise only). The .exe would then be recorded against any machine that contains it. That does produce a different version though (the version of the actual executable).

Output from the file detection is below.

<file>
            <item>
                <name>powershell.exe</name>
                <full_name>c:\windows\syswow64\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe</full_name>
                <size>431616</size>
                <directory>c:\windows\syswow64\windowspowershell\v1.0\</directory>
                <hash>21d5224e20a4be7f303ab6c4b9f219d0d70904ee</hash>
                <last_changed>1/6/2017 7:24:33 PM</last_changed>
                <meta_last_changed></meta_last_changed>
                <permission>17957033</permission>
                <owner>TrustedInstaller@NT SERVICE</owner>
                <version>10.0.14393.206</version>
                <inode>0</inode>
                <group></group>
            </item>
        </file>

Output from the software detection is below.

<item>
                <name>PowerShell</name>
                <version>5.1.14393.0</version>
                <install_date></install_date>
                <publisher>Microsoft Corporation</publisher>
                <url>https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/</url>
            </item>

I hope this helps.

Mark.

CommentAdd your comment...