Just reporting issues with SNMP discovery of certain devices with Open-Audit 4.0.1.

First issue. Ruckus ZoneFlex R710. This device gets reported as an unknown device running Ubiquiti OS.  This is incorrect.  I do not know why this is happening since Ruckus Wireless has no known association (by me at least) with Ubiquiti.  Maybe your OIDs need to be updated to reflect the current identification of Ruckus Wireless equipment?

Second issue.  Cisco RV160 Soho router.  85% of the time, the discovery process by Open-Audit on this device complains that SNMP is not available, or not present. Except for the 15% of the time that it actually detects SNMP and scans the device. It too does not correctly identify the device name, hardware, ports, properties, etc. Is there something unique about this device that is not present in all other Cisco routers?

Third issue.  The first 2 issues are not an issue in NMIS 9.  NMIS successfully scans the devices using SNMP, correctly identifies the device, the properties, the hardware, the software, and the performance. If I try using integration to merge the 2, all I get is two different devices in NIMS, and no updated information in Open-Audit. So is Open-Audit NMIS integration a single direction only; not bidirectional?

Why is NMIS able to scan and manage the devices, but Open-Audit not able to correctly audit them?

CommentAdd your comment...

1 answer

Re: Rukus. What is the OID of the Rukus ZoneFlex R710 device (view the device details, expand the SNMP section)?

Re: Cisco. Open-AudIT depends on Nmap for port / service detection. If Nmap reports that SNMP is available, Open-AudIT will attempt to connect to it. I'd guess the device (or something between it and Open_AudIT) is not responding with SNMP open consistently.

Re: NMIS. NMIS doesn't test for SNMP before attempting to connect (as Open-AudIT does). If you provide an IP and SNMP credentials, NMIS will attempt to connect. NMIS / Open-AudIT integration depends on some fields being identical in order to match the devices. If the attributes are not identical, there will be no match and hence a new device created. NMIS and Open-AudIT differ because they run differently. You could try checking the discovery scan options in Open-AudIT and (assuming you have an Enterprise license) adjust the default options being used for UltraFast for Consider Open|Filtered Ports Open to "yes" and also for Consider Filtered Ports Open to "yes".

CommentAdd your comment...