I see that the device object has two attributes: Cluster and Function, but I don't see any functionality built/oriented around these attributes.

I am interested in taking a number of devices, regardless of which physical data center or location they are in, and assigning them to a "cluster" (actually, these clusters in our nomenclature are generally referred to as 'cloud instances').Then, after making these cluster assignments, having the ability to pull up maps, and having these clusters show up in different colors. So for example, I might see a server in UK, Western US, Eastern US, and Australia colored yellow - while another group of servers in different locations might be colored blue. – Is this possible?

These devices, currently, are called "computer", and I have assigned the Class attribute as Server. But they serve different purposes, and I think I can use the Function field for that - although I see no default groups, reports or anything around the Function field (I guess I would need to create this myself).

But - we also have Virtual Machines - and some of these VM instances may be serving one cluster, while others may be serving another cluster. – Can the software support this as well?

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Just an update - we have introduced a Clusters endpoint in Open-AudIT 3.3.0. Check the release notes, blog post and wiki page.

I see that the device object has two attributes: Cluster and Function, but I don't see any functionality built/oriented around these attributes.

Correct - they are simple fields. Although cluster is currently populated on Windows if a SQL cluster is detected.

I am interested in taking a number of devices, regardless of which physical data center or location they are in, and assigning them to a "cluster" (actually, these clusters in our nomenclature are generally referred to as 'cloud instances').

Yep - just set the cluster attribute.

Then, after making these cluster assignments, having the ability to pull up maps, and having these clusters show up in different colors. So for example, I might see a server in UK, Western US, Eastern US, and Australia colored yellow - while another group of servers in different locations might be colored blue. – Is this possible?

That's quite possible but will require some small code changes in Open-AudIT Enterprise (this is where maps are viewed) and some SQL to produce the result. This amount of work could possibly be covered by Opmantek if we have a paying customer request this feature.

These devices, currently, are called "computer", and I have assigned the Class attribute as Server. But they serve different purposes, and I think I can use the Function field for that

Yes, definitely.

although I see no default groups, reports or anything around the Function field (I guess I would need to create this myself)

No groups, no. Easy to create a group based on this though.

But - we also have Virtual Machines - and some of these VM instances may be serving one cluster, while others may be serving another cluster.

Currently there is a 1 to 1 relationship between device and cluster. I plan to change this and break clusters into a separate table. So 'yes' it can support a cluster per device.