How to optimize the process of " UPDATE / COLLECT " in NMIS . For details of the equipment, with more than 800 interfaces with QoS (input and output ) configured ?

1. José Iván Anguiano Reyes

Hello cross_o23.

Which version of NMIS are you using?

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

Hi,

There are several things you can do to reduce collect times:

1. Make sure NMIS is using JSON files, check that the var directory has .json files for the -node files and also check that Config.nmis has 'use_json' => 'true’, run nmis8/admin/convert_nmis_db.pl to convert if it's still using .nmis files
    2. Increase the number of threads for collect in cron (there will be diminishing returns here but 125 has worked well in practice for some customers)
    3. Find out which nodes are taking a long time to poll:
      1.  'log_polling_time' => 'true' in Config.nmis
      2. run collect for a couple of cycles
      3. set back to ''log_polling_time' => 'false', (it creates a lot of output in the logs)
      4. Look through the logs to see how long each node is taking, output will be something like:

12-Oct-2015 11:20:08,nmis.pl::doCollect#1002<br>Poll Time: omed, net-snmp, 0.30
        12-Oct-2015 11:20:08,nmis.pl::doCollect#1002<br>Poll Time: tyr, net-snmp, 0.04
        12-Oct-2015 11:20:09,nmis.pl::doCollect#1002<br>Poll Time: wanedge1, CiscoRouter, 0.27
      5. consider turning off model features in these nodes, or changing them to use a default model

4. Create a minimal model that only collects exactly what you want and set nodes to use this model

5. Make the var folder a ramdisk

I can run the cron as references and have executed manually "/usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=collect node=XXXXXX debug=true", but because of the amount of QoS , the update takes 9,238 sec. I wonder if there is a method to improve the update.

Can you share the crontab, etc/crontab.d/nmis?

Please send me an screenshoot of system>Host Diagnostics>Runtime Graph?

Regards