Hello,

My server have a new ip, when i try to update this ( i can see in NMIS Nodes(devices) the new ip that i write), but if i go to see that server for example in the Network Metrics & Health  i see the old ip, i dont know what to do for upgrade that ip.

Someone can help me?

Thanks!!!

CommentAdd your comment...

5 answers

Hello Juanita

To do this action after the IP change should be taken doing 

/usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=update node=nodeX debug=true

/usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=collect node=nodeX debug=true

In the other hand please send me the output of the next action

vi /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Nodes.nmis

after open the file do /nodeX the cursor will go to the nodeX name copy and paste de info bellow and update this question please.

Regards

1. Juanita Navarro

Hello Jose, i do the /usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=update node=nodeX debug=true /usr/local/nmis8/bin/nmis.pl type=collect node=nodeX debug=true but it doesnt wanna take the new ip. The output of the Nodes.nmis is for 1 of the servers in which i have problems, because i have that problema in all update that i do like since 2 weeks ago,: 'vwscfme' => { 'active' => 'true', 'advanced_options' => undef, 'authkey' => '', 'authpassword' => '', 'authprotocol' => 'sha', 'businessService' => undef, 'calls' => 'false', 'cbqos' => 'none', 'collect' => 'true', 'community' => 'Xxx9Xki9', 'customer' => 'Opmantek', 'depend' => undef, 'extra_options' => undef, 'group' => 'DISPOSITIVOS_DE_RED', 'host' => 'x.x.x.x', 'location' => 'DataCenter', 'max_msg_size' => '1472', 'max_repetitions' => '0', 'model' => 'automatic', 'name' => 'vwscfme', 'netType' => 'lan', 'notes' => 'Skype', 'ping' => 'true', 'port' => '161', 'privkey' => '', 'privpassword' => '', 'privprotocol' => 'aes', 'rancid' => 'false', 'roleType' => 'core', 'serviceStatus' => 'Production', 'service_management' => undef, 'services' => undef, 'threshold' => 'true', 'timezone' => '0', 'username' => '', 'version' => 'snmpv2c', 'webserver' => 'false' }, Obviously i change our ip, snmp community!! thank you so much...

2. José Iván Anguiano Reyes

'host' => 'x.x.x.x', this field shows the IP updated? Can you share an image of the device in NMIS? Regards

3. Juanita Navarro

Hello, Its so weird, because in that field I can see the IP updated, but the device in NMIS is with the old IP. Thanks, Regards

juanita, please tell us a bit more precisely what you mean by 'it doesn't want to take the new ip'?

1. when you go to system -> system configuration -> nmis nodes, does your device show with the desired new ipaddress in the Host Name/IP Address column?
        if yes, then nmis is using that address to communicate with the device - that list shows the authoritative 'raw' information. if not, then the configuration hasn't made it into conf/Nodes.nmis (you didn't tell us how you modified the node's config, editor or via the gui). until conf/Nodes.nmis contains the desired ip address, nothing will work and editing isn't complete.
      2. did you run a type=update after the edit took place? this is required  to apply the changes, and if you edited via the gui the the "edit and update node" button would have caused the update to happen.
      3. when you go to the node's node view page, what do you see in the 'ip address' row?
        that should show a)  the ip address followed by "(hostname)" if you gave a dns name and your dns works, or b) just the ip address that you set as 'Host Name/IP Address'.
      1. Juanita Navarro

Hello Alexander, Yes i could see the ip addres in system -> system configuration -> nmis nodes (There it was the new ip addres ) but if i saw in the network metrics and health the configuration of my server i saw the old ip address! Like in another answer told me; i run /usr/local/nmis8/admin/node_admin.pl act=delete node=nodeX confirm=YES deletedata=false and in that way i could add the device again and get the new ip. Thank you Regards

harry, thanks for the tip - it's a little harsh, though.

we've modified the caching behaviour in nmis 8.6.0G a little, so that there should be less chance of old/invalid/corrupt data lingering. for type=update there is now an option force=true/false, which if set makes it completely ignore old node information (except for existing rrd data). editing nodes from the gui now runs the node update with force=true. besides that a few known trouble spots where old data was retained too long were cleaned up.

1. Harry Milanes

OK that's great then Alex! Is there a virtual appliance for 8.6.0G yet? Just in my scenario though, for my version, I did *have* to delete those rrd's for my node to render correctly. Isn't it true that if he's not using 8.6.0G he still might have to try my suggestion, or is the update+force option available in the script in previous versions but not used by GUI?

2. Alexander Zangerl

we haven't published an updated vm appliance just yet, but that should happen within the next two weeks. the force option is a completely new addition, but you could emulate its behaviour by removing the var/<nodename>-node.(json/nmis) file just before running your type=update.

I had some trouble with nodes retaining old data, I found that removing the node via the gui was not sufficient as it did not remove the data linked to the node, and when you add it again the data re-appears.

So I ran this:

/usr/local/nmis8/admin/node_admin.pl act=delete deletedata=1 confirm=YES node=NAME_OF_NODE

Then, I re-added the node in the gui.

This obviously would remove historical data for that node though, I suspect you may want to keep it?

1. José Iván Anguiano Reyes

Hello Harry You can do this to keep data /usr/local/nmis8/admin/node_admin.pl act=delete node=nodeX confirm=YES deletedata=false Regards

2. Harry Milanes

Yeah, but I suspect he's going to have to lose some data since there's 'logic knot'...somewhere ;-)

3. Juanita Navarro

Hello, thank you so much for your answer, doing that i can obtain the new ip adrress without problem!!

That is my device on NMIS, in the field IP Address show me the old ip!! :S

Regards,

1. José Iván Anguiano Reyes

The image is not shown is broken, when did you change the node IP? are you able to see something about the node in nmis.log?