for some reason i see that NMIS is not updating some nodes daily. what could be the root cause. kindly advise.

CommentAdd your comment...

6 answers

Hello Behedile,

Regarding the Cisco device at 172.21.0.18; check to see if there is an open SNMP error for that device. If the device is not responding to SNMP then ou would have no performance data, just reachability (i.e. ping).

To troubleshoot SNMP, first check that you have the correct SNMP Community string in NMIS, then try to perform an SNMP walk of the device from the NMIS server. It is important that you do this form the NMIS server and not your desktop, as a change in network configuration/rules may have isolated the NMIS server from the device.

Here are a couple additional references to troubleshooting SNMP that should help:

SNMP Troubleshooting

Logs, debugs and files which are useful when troubleshooting and resolving issues in NMIS

1. hedi mogax

the cisco device has the open SNMP error but the community string is correct. reachability is ok as ping is 100% successful

2. Mark Henry

Ping may be getting through ok, but SNMP may not. Try an snmpwalk of thr device from the NMIS server's command line and see what you get back.

3. hedi mogax

results looks positive. please advise. see a snapshot below.

4. hedi mogax

what else could it be? i tried every trick i could find but still not working.

5. Mark Henry

Bahedile, Please send an email to us at support@opmantek.com with times and dates you are available for a screen sharing session next week. One of our engineers will reply and get something scheduled to provide assistance. Please include your timezone and company name in the email so we can assign the correct resource. Mark H

6. hedi mogax

Mark, is possible for someone to assist me as i have made time today. like right now or with 3 hours from now one. timezone UTC/GMT +2

Hello Bahedile,

This often happens when the device stops responding to SNMP requests or the NMIS server cannot complete a polling cycle before the next cycle begins.

Are there any Events shown with your device (i.e. SNMP Down)? What's the Collect Time for your NMIS server (System->Host Diagnostics->NMIS Runtime Graph)

Hi Mark,

i did some test as you advised and it looks to be working fine because i am getting respond. i am still an immature with nmis. i hardly have more than 2 months using it and our client is using it as their main monitoring. what more can i look to resolve this.

regarding this fault what surprises me is that snmp down warning has being going on for while which back dates to date above. how do i resolve it

I noticed some event logs had SNMP error on them but didn't pay attention. so this could be the root cause? I will check it and send you the snapshot if im not winning. thanks for advise.