Hello,

I ma trying to add nodes to nmis 8.5.12g

I got the following message:

Running update on node google

Copyright (C) Opmantek Limited (www.opmantek.com)
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
This is free software licensed under GNU GPL, and you are welcome to
redistribute it under certain conditions; see www.opmantek.com or email
contact@opmantek.com

NMIS version 8.5.12G

Invalid node google No node of that name!

Running collect on node google

Copyright (C) Opmantek Limited (www.opmantek.com)
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
This is free software licensed under GNU GPL, and you are welcome to
redistribute it under certain conditions; see www.opmantek.com or email
contact@opmantek.com

NMIS version 8.5.12G

Invalid node google No node of that name!

Thanks,

Regards,

Johny

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

regarding upgrade or reinstallation:

if you have any existing, configured nodes or tuned configuration items then i'd upgrade (my personal opinion). it's not necessary at all to remove the older version, the installer is sufficiently smart to replace the pieces that need replacing.

reinstall from scratch: the installer offers that option, too, there's a dialog about whether you want to upgrade the installation (default) or remove and replace it completely.

if you want to do it by hand, /usr/local/nmis8 needs to go away (at least; depending on what your system started with you may also have stuff in /var/log/nmis, /data/nmis8, and a few config files in /etc, which the installer will replace/overwrite).

hmm: i can't reproduce the problem.  i've just run a node adding operation similar to yours in our lab: node name something, host name/ip address: a fqdn that works, collect false, ping true, model set manually to PingOnly; and that worked just fine.

• your version of nmis is not the latest; 8.6.0G has been out for a while and fixes lots of issues - however i'm not aware of anything specifically relevant to adding nodes.
        • could it be that you've got invalid permissions on conf/Nodes.nmis? that would cause the node creation to fail: no change to the file, hence the update and collect ops fail with unknown node.
        1. Johny Rahal

Thanks Alexander, I checked the permission and It worked with me. I want to install the latest available version, Please advice: Will it be better if I removed the old version and then clean installed the new or upgrade. Also please provide me how to remove the old version? Is removing the /usr/local/nmis/ and /usr/local/rrd folder sufficient? Regards, Johny

Hello Johny,

Sorry to hear you're running into problems with your NMIS implementation. When you add a node are you completing all 4 fields with the red asterisk next to them (name, HostName/IP Address, Group, and SNMP Community)?

Regards,

Mark H

1. Johny Rahal

Hi Mark,

I already added some nodes/groups.

yes all 4 fields are filled, even the nodes I am adding are ping only nodes so i am using for collect=false

Regards,

Johny