I started going through our office software keys to see where they are now sitting as computers have changed offices, been renamed, etc.

I found a couple where Open-AudIT is stating that the system has an office key, and I find that it's the same key as another computer.

However, on one set, the computer in question doesn't, nor has ever had Office installed. It's a headless monitoring computer.

Another set is a brand new laptop that came with Office 2016, and has never had 2010 installed.

Is there a reason that these would show up? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Also how do I clear those keys? I tried rediscovering the machines to see if it would remove/update the information, but it didn't seem to change.

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Keys cannot be cleared. As you said, if you rerun discovery upon them, they will reappear.

I'm unsure why it would report bad keys. The script checks the registry and decodes what it finds there. Maybe check audit_windows.vbs and compare the keys that it searches against what it in your registry.

Thanks, that's a bit of a pain, but what needs to be done!