At the present time we have all nodes on the standard "Half_Hourly" polling policy, we now wish to change the polling for some devices which looks straight forward.  we followed the documentation however when we later checked the test devices we found no polling happening and all data had been changed to "NAN".  The policy we tried was the "very_Infrequently" policy, we then tried to create a custom policy which also failed however when we changed the custom policy to the same settings as the "Half_Hourly" policy then everything started to work.

Is there a restriction on the timings allowed in the policy if so can you provide the minimum and maximum allowed; we are currently running NMIS 8.6.3G

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Hello Andrew,

This page in the NMIS wiki discusses the new Variable Speed Polling in detail: https://community.opmantek.com/display/NMIS/NMIS+-+Polling+Policy+-+Configuring+Variable+Polling+Polices

Please note that when you change a node's polling policy NMIS discards all of the device's existing data.

Troubleshooting your Polling Policies are covered under the Verification section of that wiki page. If you have hand edited the Poling-Policies.nmis file I would also add you should run a perl -c check on the file to ensure the format is correct.

I did think this was the correct answer Mark however when I stopped logging "/usr/local/nmis8/bin/fpingd.pl logging=False restart=true" as I had verified the devices were being polled then the devices lost their data but only the two that are on none default polling all other devices were OK .  

1. Mark Henry

Andrew, You might check the Polling Policy definition for the Default policy and make sure that it is formatted correctly. If it has been deleted or edited you might not get good results. If everything looks good there please email a copy of /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Polling-Policy.nmis to us at support@opmantek.com