I have been testing some changes i.e. events on a test server and now need to move the changes to the production server, is it possible to export some of the configuration details and import them to the new server; I have listed below some of the data that needs to be moved.  This would have to be a merged import as we don't wish to lose what we already have.

system>system Configuration

Business services

Customer

Escalation Policy

Event Configuration

locations

services status

Setup>Advanced

Groups

Node Type

Node Roles

Network Type

Also some Thresholding and alerts>Common-Threshold

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Here are the relevant configuration files:

Setup -> System Configuration -> Business Servcies === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/BusinessServices.nmis
      Setup -> System Configuration -> Customers === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Customers.nmis
      Setup -> System Configuration -> Escalation Policy === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Escalations.nmis
      Setup -> System Configuration -> Event Configuration === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Events.nmis
      Setup -> System Configuration -> Locations === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Locations.nmis
      Setup -> System Configuration -> Service Status === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/ServiceStatus.nmis
      Setup -> Advanced === /usr/local/nmis8/conf/Config.nmis.  
      Thresholding and alerts -> Common-Threshold === /usr/local/nmis8/models/Common-threshold.nmis

I would take the following steps.

Step #1

Backup the production server.

Step #2

Diff each of the files between test and production.

Step #3

Based on the diff, edit the file on the production server; or simply replace the file.

to expand on chris' answer, NMIS does ship a tool that helps with step #2 (config comparison): admin/diffconfigs.pl <onecfg.nmis> <twocfg.nmis> produces a detailed display of the differences between the given config files.

using a plain operating-system-level diff is less useful, because most of NMIS' config files contain hash tables where order isn't relevant and not retained across updates. diffconfigs.pl accounts for this characteristic.