Can Open-AudIT capture the following... Windows Registry,  STIG / SRG audit settings,  File permissions (specific config files)  Configuration files? My company wants to mimic a customers network using different scanning tools which OA is one of our tools. I've been messing around in the interface but I'm not able to capture the above info. First, can OA perform this task? If so please explain. Secondly, can I customized my own scan to include the parameters mentioned above? Thanks in advance. 

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Mark,

I really appreciate you answer and I would love to be able to capture Windows registry files which can be stored within the sql database. STIG's are guidelines/restrictions of configurations that are set by DISA which tells ever DOD entity that their systems must be configured to meet these standards. Such as disabling USB ports, disable wireless access, disable cameras etc.

On another note in Open-AudIT they are canned discoveries, is there a way for me as an administrator of this software where I can create a custom scan that can pull specific info such as registry files. Basically, I want make a discovery scan in which I'm able to tell Open-AudIT what to pull from a machine. 

1. Mark Unwin

In short, no. Other than the 'files' feature in Enterprise. I do have open tickets (on our internal tracker) to allow for registry entries to be defined as per files and also general commands. As always, if you are interested in sponsoring these features (or any others) please do get in contact (smile)

Files

Open-AudIT Enterprise can capture file information (size, owner, permissions, last changed, etc). See Files for more information. We do not  store the contents of the files retrieved, only the meta data. To retrieve the file contents and monitor for changes, see opConfig here - Home.

Capturing Windows Registry information is certainly possible (we already do this for various items). We would just need somewhere to store the information. Did you have anything specific in mind (a sigle key we could do with a small alteration to the audit script)? Would something like the "files" feature work, where you define the key and Open-AudIT retrieves and stores the value?

STIG / SRG settings - I do not know what these are, sorry.

Mark Unwin.