Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

RRD TypeOld File SizeNew File Size% Increase
Interface (ifInOctets and ifOutOcts)581112 bytes1391364 bytes239%
Packet data1933120 bytes4264508 bytes220%

How would I configure NMIS8 to poll every 1 minute and keep 8 days of raw data?

To configure NMIS8 to keep 8 days of raw data (with 1 minute polls) and 32 days of 30 minutes of interface data you would make the following change to all the sections.  

Keep (days)Summarise (minutes)Model EntryDefault ValueNew Value
8 days1 minutesrows_day230411520
32 days30 minutesrows_week15361536 (no change)

I can get these results using the RRD Calculator this is the screen shot, I have changed the default of 5 minutes to 1 minute.

Image Added

The interface entry for the Common-database.nmis model would look like this after the change:

Code Block
themeEmacs
 'interface' => {
   'step_year' => '288',
   'rows_month' => '2268',
   'rows_year' => '1890',
   'step_day' => '1',
   'step_month' => '24',
   'step_week' => '6',
   'rows_day' => '9216',
   'rows_week' => '4608'
 },

This change should be made to the following sections:

• reachability
  • interface
  • metrics

Can I migrate existing NMIS8 RRD files to the new scheme

This takes a second or two to complete.  This process can be scripted easily enough, and there is a template for this has been, this is included in the NMIS8 distribution in /path/to/nmis8/admin/rrd_file_updateresize.pl, the script would need to determine the RRA numbers by running rrdtool info first and then execute the above rrdtool resize commands for each RRD filewill determine what RRA's need to be updated and then resize them accordingly.

Where are NMIS RRD Files Stored?

NMIS8 is a powerful network management system which can keep as much data as you have disk space to store, the defaults make sense for most organisations and provide a good balance between statistical granularity and disk space.