Welcome to the NMIS (Network Management Information System), community page! NMIS is open source network management software which was first released in 1999, it is a complete network management system which assists with fault, performance and configuration management, providing performance graphs and threshold alerting as well as highly granular notification policies with many types of notification methods. You can download NMIS from here.
Have you just downloaded NMIS (VM or source)? See the NMIS v8 Documentation section information to get you started and help you configure NMIS. If you are looking for information and documentation for one of our modules see the specific Module links below. Lastly, if you have just downloaded the VM Bundle with NMIS which includes all of our modules check out the Getting Started - Virtual Appliance Bundle & NMIS 8 document to get you going.
More information about Opmantek and our products and services available on our website.
We're actively working on the next generation of NMIS and early beta releases are now available. Please contact us at email@example.com if you'd like to experiment with NMIS 9.
NMIS v8 Documentation
Current NMIS v8 documentation is listed below.
- Getting Started - Opmantek Virtual Appliance Bundle Installation
- NMIS8 Release Notes and the Virtual Appliance Release Notes
- NMIS 8 Installation Guide and the (very simple) instructions for Upgrading NMIS to 8.6.3G
- NMIS8 Quick Start Guide
- NMIS8 Configuration Guide
- Node Administration Tools
- Managing Servers and Services with NMIS8
- NMIS Configuration Part 1 on the "show brain" blog
- NMIS Configuration Part 2 on the "show brain" blog
- Using SNMPv3 with NMIS for Secure Network Management
- Cisco router basic SNMP v1 or v2 configuration guide
- SNMP Traps with Cisco and Other devices
- NMIS8 Vendor and Device Support
- Information about Network Ports
NMIS in Depth
Why does NMIS do that, how does it work?
- Configuring NMIS for Multi-Tenancy - how to prevent NMIS users from seeing devices they are not supposed to see.
- How To Customise Interface Speed, Collection, Thresholds and Events Using Node Configuration
- Manage Current Events - acknowledge events to stop escalation and notification
- Basic and Advanced Thresholds in NMIS8
- NMIS Threshold Configuration
- NMIS Metrics, Reachability, Availability and Health
- Amount of Performance Data Storage NMIS8 Stores
- Description of the NMIS Event Log
- NMIS Event List
- NMIS Node Status
- Import Nodes into NMIS8 - bulk import and integration
- Alerts - Using models to generate custom events
- Creating NMIS Email Notifications for a Specific Node and Interface
- Configuration Files for NMIS
- Custom Tables in NMIS
- Using Unique Identifiers (UUID) for NMIS Nodes
- Custom Notification Methods for NMIS Events
- NMIS Dashboards with Alternate Groupings - Customers and Business Services
- Developing Device Models for NMIS
- Extending SNMPd for custom monitoring
- Making Sounds for Critical Events on the NMIS Dashboard
- How NMIS pings nodes, using fpingd/fping or ping
- Ping Timeout and NMIS, including fast ping - fping
- Scaling NMIS Polling
- NMIS Customising the Dashboard Layout - Save Windows and Positions
- Controlling the Collection of Interfaces, Adjustments and Overrides
- Configuring syslog to get 'Network Events' on Master
- Scaling NMIS polling - how NMIS handles long running processes
- NMIS Handling Counter64 using SNMPv1
- Linking Nodes to other systems including Web, SSH, Telnet and whatever you need.
NMIS Troubleshooting & Micro FAQ
- The NMIS Support Tool
- NMIS File Permissions
- Configuration Files for NMIS (and how often they change)
- Logs, debugs and files which are useful when troubleshooting and resolving issues in NMIS
- Regular System Maintenance for NMIS
- SNMP Tuning
- SNMP Troubleshooting
- Testing SNMP Connectivity from the NMIS Server with snmpwalk
- Adding and Editing a Device in NMIS8
- Learning and Understanding Perl
- Installing Perl Libraries with and without CPAN
- NMIS8 Graphs Showing letters after the numbers in the y-axis
- Configuring NMIS to use Internal Authentication
- Configuring NMIS to use Secure Active Directory Authentication (ms-ldaps)
- Important NMIS Configuration Options
- Virtual Appliance Maintenance: Updating Software
Opmantek has training material available for NMIS, this is available in PDF format, and includes a movie which is about an hour long for the NMIS Device Modelling Training. All this downloadable:
- NMIS8 User Training
- NMIS8 Administration Training
- NMIS8 Developer Training
- NMIS8 Device Modelling Training
- NMIS8 Device Modelling Training Webcast
- How to upgrade and maintain
- Default Credentials (Passwords) for NMIS8 VM
- User Management in NMIS8
- Moving the NMIS database to a new partition
- Additional support can be found on the nmis_users mailing list although we recommend commenting on this community site.
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.6.1G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.6.0G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5.12G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5.10G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5.8G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5.6G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5.4G
- NMIS 8 Installation Guide (up to Version 8.5.4G)
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5.2G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.5G
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.4.10G
- Patching NMIS with 8.4.6G
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.4G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.6G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.9G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.15G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.18G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.4.1G
- NMIS 4.3.6e Installation Documentation- contributed by Terrell Prude.
Other Resources for NMIS Users
Opmantek Modules to Extend NMIS8
- opFlow - Application level visibility using NetFlow information, providing incredible visibility into bandwidth usage, by user and application.
- opReports - Expert reporting, with traffic lights and actions.
- opMaps - Geographical mapping of your Organisation, from NMIS information.
- opSLA - Enhanced IPSLA engine for 10000's of IPSLA probes on a single server.
- opHA - High availability for NMIS through Master/Poller and Multi-Master configurations.
- opConfig - Automatically track and back up configurations. Compare configurations.
- opCharts - Modern, dynamic, interactive charting, custom dashboards and a RESTful API for all NMIS data and more.