Groups are a central concept to NMIS
- Every node is required to be assigned to a group
- User authorisation to view a node is based on groups
- Metrics are calculated per group
- Nodes may be viewed or listed per group
- Nodes may be exported per group
- Nodes may be deleted per group
Group membership is assigned at node creation time.
Notice the group section is comprised of two different input fields. The first one is a drop box containing all the currently configured groups. If the Node's group is not in this drop down box, we can enter a new group value in the text box below it.
If it's desirable to not display a certain group to any user of the GUI we may invoke the 'Hide Groups' feature. This is available from the NMIS9 top menu bar by selecting System->System Configuration->Hide Groups.
Note: You can select group visibility on a per user basis using the Users table's group field (Users.nmis file) as in previous versions.
The member nodes of a hidden group will still be collected on, but they will not be visible via the GUI to any user.