Running the installer on Centos 6.7 and the installer insists on checking for "mysql-server" using yum.

Yum on CentOS doesn't always install the latest versions, so on my other LAMP servers I've installed other more recent versions of them from other repositories.  The result is they don't get installed as "mysql-server" or "mysql" or "php"; they are installed as MariaDB or MySQL-community-server or php55w, etc, etc...

I was able to work around it and did my best to re-package and change the install name of some old rpm's that I had from a few years ago to pass most of the dependency checks, but not all.  You see; I'm wanting to have someone who's not that familiar with Linux apply these updates, and wanted it to go smooth and minimize questions, etc....

Can you put some work into the Linux installer script(s) so that it will be more intelligent about dependency checking specifically on CentOS?

Additionally; the Open Source community is moving to MariaDB instead of mysql because of Oracle.  Your product worked just fine on MariaDB after I modified 30-pre-oae-dependencies to pass.  I just recently switched to an older version of mysql to apply the 1.12 release.

Thanks for listening to my rave; Appreciate a response!

Steve

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Hi Steve,

In short - yes - to everything. MariaDB should work just fine.

The installer tries to check and ensure you have the required packages installed because if you don't "bad things will happen"... We do need to add MariaDB into the check for RedHat / Centos 7. If you know you have these items installed you can always reply to the installer to proceed anyway (as in "I know what I'm doing"). Just answer 'no' to the question about allowing the installer to install them for you.

I have just installed MariaDB on a Centos 6.7 machine, run the installer and everything functions as intended.

If you are missing more than just MySQL then answering 'yes' to allow the installer to install the missing dependencies will attempt to install MySQL. I'm unsure what would happen there as I haven't tried this as yet.

In summary - yes, we will add MariaDB to the installer and attempt to make it rather more intelligent.

Mark,

thanks for the prompt response.  I appreciate you willingness to improve the product.  Like I said above; its fine for me but I need to be able to have others apply the updates and want them to apply clean.

Thanks

Steve H.