Hi all,

I have a discovery that runs every hour and I don't know how to retreive mac address of offline devices in my DB. With some devices I can look in the discovery log where I can find a line like "MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX matched to manufacturer XXXXXX", but with other devices that were offline when the last discovery runs I don't have the discovery log. I can see the manufacturer, so the mac address was known but I can't retreive it.

How to find the mac address of those devices?

CommentAdd your comment...

4 answers

Thanks for persisting. I have found and fixed a bug in the discovery processing routine. FYI, we were using $device->mac instead of $device->mac_address. Silly mistake on my part. My apologies.

This is now working and I have also added display code so when a device doesn't have network card records but does have IP records, we display a new section called IP Addresses.

This code will be available in the next release of Open-AudIT (2.1).

Click the image below to enlarge.

So the answer is - it depends...

If you don't have the Hardware menu item, this indicates that only Nmap was used in Discovery and that you do not have valid credentials for these devices (SSH, SNMP, WMI, etc).

In this case, there may or may not be an entry in the network cards table.

The best option is to work through these devices and get working credentials for them. That way you will not only get the MAC Addresses but a whole lot more information as well.

1. Davide Yachaya

Many of those devices are smartphones connected over wifi and they don't have credentials to use. Why OpenAudit doesn't store mac addresses obtained from nmap scan in any table?

I don't have "Hardware" voice in the left menu on those devices but I can see the manufacturer so mac addresses were discovered when devices were seen the first time. OpenAudit server is on the same network.

I can't see those devices in "network" table.

It seems that when a device goes offline network table and discovery log are cleaned by the next discovery task.

This is an example:

Any found MAC addresses are stored in the "network" table and associated to the device.

On the device details page, in the left side menu, click Hardware -> Network.

1. Davide Yachaya

I don't have "Hardware" voice in the left menu on those devices but I can see the manufacturer so mac addresses were discovered when devices were seen the first time. OpenAudit server is on the same network. I can't see those devices in "network" table. It seems that when a device goes offline network table and discovery log are cleaned by the next discovery task.