Note: The concept of Creating Custom Reports is included in Open-AudIT Community, Professional and Enterprise. However, some features discussed here are only available in the Professional and Enterprise versions.
Open-AudIT collects and organizes a large amount of very detailed information regarding each device. The built-in Queries, Summaries, and Reports provide an easy way to access and organize this information for display or exporting. Queries and Summaries are available in the Community, Professional and Enterprise versions, Reports - which provide flexible date ranges - are only available in Professional and Enterprise and cannot be edited or created. More information on the differences between Queries, Summaries, and Reports is available HERE: How Do Reports, Queries and Summaries Work?
The process below is written from the perspective of creating a Query. However, the workflow would be similar for creating a custom Summary as well.
- Review existing reports
- Open-AudIT Professional and Enterprise ship with 33 Queries and 13 Summaries built-in
- In some cases one, or more, of these existing Queries will contain the fields you need for your custom report. Reviewing the SQL the Query uses can be of benefit in building your custom report.
- To access a Queries' SQL start by Selecting Manage -> Queries -> List Queries from the menu, Click the Details button for the Query, the SQL field contains the query that is being executed on the dB
- Identify the field(s) you need in the report
- Each Collection page in the wiki includes the database schema at the bottom of the page. You can also find a list of tables and their fields by Selecting Admin -> Database -> List Tables from the Open-AudIT menu.
- If you have created any custom Fields for storing data you may also want to include those in a report. Specific directions for accessing custom Fields can be found HERE: Create a Query containing Custom Fields
- Identify any filtering logic needed
- Create the new Query
- Select Manage -> Queries → List Queries from the Open-AudIT menu
- To create a new entry click the "+" button in the top-right hand corner
- Note - while you can edit an existing Query it is best practice to create a new Query.
- New Queries should be assigned to the "Other" Menu Category to differentiate them from stock Queries.
- General information on Queries can be found HERE: Queries
- Detailed information on creating custom Queries, including examples can be found HERE: Creating a Query
- Test the report
- Once a new Query or Summary is created you can run them directly from the Details page, from the List Query/Summary page or from the menu