Welcome to the NMIS (Network Management Information System), community page! NMIS is open source network management software which was first released in 1999, it is a complete network management system which assists with fault, performance and configuration management, providing performance graphs and threshold alerting as well as highly granular notification policies with many types of notification methods. You can download NMIS from here.
Have you just downloaded NMIS (VM or source)? See the NMIS v8 Documentation section information to get you started and help you configure NMIS. If you are looking for information and documentation for one of our modules see the specific Module links below. Lastly, if you have just downloaded the VM Bundle with NMIS which includes all of our modules check out the Getting Started - Virtual Appliance Bundle & NMIS 8 document to get you going.
NMIS v8 Documentation
Current NMIS v8 documentation is listed below.
- Getting Started - NMIS8 Virtual Appliance Bundle Installation
- NMIS8 Release Notes
- NMIS8 Source Installation guide - All you should need to know to get NMIS8 running on LInux
- NMIS8 Quick Start Guide
- NMIS8 Configuration Guide
- Managing Servers and Services with NMIS8
- NMIS Configuration Part 1 on the "show brain" blog
- NMIS Configuration Part 2 on the "show brain" blog
- Using SNMPv3 with NMIS for Secure Network Management
- Cisco router basic SNMP v1 or v2 configuration guide
- SNMP Traps with Cisco and Other devices
- NMIS8 Vendor and Device Support
NMIS in Depth
Why does NMIS do that, how does it work?
- Basic and Advanced Thresholds in NMIS8
- NMIS Metrics, Reachability, Availability and Health
- Amount of Performance Data Storage NMIS8 Stores
- Description of the NMIS Event Log
- NMIS Event List
- Import Nodes into NMIS8 - bulk import and integration
- Alerts - Using models to generate custom events
- Configuration Items for NMIS
- Custom Tables in NMIS
- Using Unique Identifiers (UUID) for NMIS Nodes
- Custom Notification Methods for NMIS Events
- NMIS Dashboards with Alternate Groupings
- Device Modelling Checklist
- Modelling MIBS that use Indexes using the systemHealth section
NMIS Troubleshooting & Micro FAQ
- NMIS File Permissions
- Logs, debugs and files which are useful when troubleshooting and resolving issues in NMIS
- Regular System Maintenance for NMIS
- Testing SNMP Connectivity from the NMIS Server with snmpwalk
- Adding and Editing a Device in NMIS8
- Learning and Understanding Perl
- Installing Perl Libraries with and without CPAN
- Upgrading NMIS to 8.4.8G
- Default Credentials (Passwords) for NMIS8 VM
- User Management in NMIS8
- Moving the NMIS database to a new partition
- Additional support can be found on the nmis_users mailing list although we recommend commenting on this community site.
- Patching NMIS with 8.4.6G
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.4G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.6G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.9G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.15G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.3.18G Update
- Patching NMIS with 8.4.1G
- NMIS 4.3.6e Installation Documentation- contributed by Terrell Prude.
Other Resources for NMIS Users
Opmantek Modules to Extend NMIS8
- Home - Event Management working like ITIL V3 intended. Managing syslog, SNMP trap, NMIS events and any log content.
- opFlow - Application level visibility using NetFlow information, providing incredible visibility into bandwidth usage, by user and application.
- opReports - Expert reporting, with traffic lights and actions.
- opMaps - Geographical mapping of your Organisation, from NMIS information.
- opSLA - Enhanced IPSLA engine for 10000's of IPSLA probes on a single server.
- opHA - High availability for NMIS through Master/Slave and Multi-Master configurations.
- opConfig - Automatically track and back up configurations. Compare configurations.